Sunday, April 08, 2007

Pop quiz

Quick, answer this question!
What happens when a last-minute addition to the starting rotation pitches an absolute gem against a frightening Detroit lineup and shuts them out for 6.2 innings?


ANSWER:
This.

Oh. My. BOOOO! We need a closer, and we need him NOW!

Don't get me wrong. I like Riske. He's a good guy, and can provide some stable innings of relief. But that's just it -- relief, not closing. He's not meant for the 9th inning, not with a game like this on the line.

(As an aside, I love Ryan Lefebvre. Today the Detroit pitcher - I think it was Bobby Seay - would NOT stop throwing over to check David DeJesus at first. It was boring. On about the 498574th throw, Lefebvre says, "And a throw over to first, and David DeJesus is TERRIFIED." Love it!)

Kansas City's starters have actually been pretty solid. It's a bit confusing to us as fans. What does it mean when the starter goes more than 3 or 4 innings? Does it means that Dayton Moore is the best thing to happen to KC in at least 20 years? I think so.

No comments: